Re: Aileron control on Airbus

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:50
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.NOSPAM.com>

Ian McAndrew wrote:
> On a flight to Italy recently, my first on an Airbus, I was looking at
> the wing and it appeared to me that there were no conventional ailerons.
> There was a control surface close to the fuselage which showed a lot of
> activity during the approach but only in a downward direction (on my
> side - I assume there was a matching one doing the same on the other
> side :-)
> At no time did it move up and from the look of it I don't think it was
> possible anyway. The impression I got was that turns were initiated by
> increasing lift on the wing at the outside of the turn without a
> matching aileron decreasing lift on the inside wing.

I am not an Airbus expert, but many aircraft use an inboard "cruise
aileron" at cruise speeds which is coupled to the autopilot and is in
fairly constant motion to maintain wings-level.  At intermediate
airspeeds, flaps and spoilers are used to generate roll.  At approach
speeds, conventional outboard ailerons are used.  (The outboard ailerons
on most older generation aircraft are mechanically locked- accidental
full deflection at cruise speed would not be pretty!)

On an A320, I noted the outboard ailerons were used at all airspeeds and
there appeared to be no inboard ailerons.

Ken Ishiguro