Re: Northwest A319 will replace what ?

Date:         13 Jul 97 01:25:48
From:         "Michel Gammon" <jmgammon@sympatico.ca>

> Consider that legislation like this often leads airlines to make decisions
> that on the surface do not make sense.  For example, when I was with a large
> US carrier a few years ago, they were putting in TCAS and windshear systems on
> B727s and DC10s that were scheduled for retirement less than a year beyond the
> installation deadline.  Despite the cost of this modification, the airline had
> no other choice, as it really needed the airframes in service.
>
> In NWs case, the A319 may eventually replace some DC9 aircraft which are
> scheduled for retirement, but if the deliveries do not meet the deadline for
> Stage 3, NW would be obliged to either do without the aircraft, or to modify
> them anyways (even if the period in service is short).

One other factor to consider is that even if the usage after modification
is short, the aircraft will be sold and will no doubt be easier to sell if
they are Stage 3 compliant or have TCAS or whatever.   That way the new
airline can simply slap on its name and keep flying, essentially.
Otherwise, it would be like trying to sell a Cadillac with manual
transmission.

Mike Gammon