Re: B767 design fault (feature?)

Date:         11 Jul 97 02:09:28
From:         hackett@southwind.net (Kim Hackett)

>On Sun Jun 15 00:39:24 1997, Chris Flynn <flynn@easynet.de> wrote:
>
>>>Returning with me on a BA B767 to LHR from a conference in Berlin,
>>>my girl-friend was a bit miffed to discover that her seat had no
>>>foot-rest. (She is somewhat vertically challenged, and finds that
>>>having her feet dangling several inches from the floor does
>>>little to add to the comfort of flying.)
>>>Thinking she had a defective seat, I did a quick check. All the
>>>middle seats in the centre block were minus foot-rest. All other
>>>seats had one. (We're talking economy class here!)
>>>Can anyone shed any light on this bizarre design decision?
>>
>>Our aircraft have variable Club config.
> ^^^
>Aha! Am I talking to someone from BA?

I would not consider this subject to be named a B767 design fault.
Passenger seats are a decision made by the airline and little
to do with Boeing.  Several years ago I spent a week with Boeing
Customer Engineering in Renton, WA.  At that time I was told by
the Manager of Customer Engineering that Boeing does not purchase
the seats that they use in the aircraft.  Each airline is responsible
for the purchase and delivery of the seats to the final production line.
In the early '80s, Boeing was finding that it was spending much in
resources to expedite the delivery of seats that had been ordered
by various airlines for their aircraft.  The seats were not being
delivered in time to make aircraft delivery schedults.
Boeing was threatening to finish the aircraft without the seats
and park them on the ramp until the seats were delivered.