Re: 747

Date:         11 Jul 97 02:09:27
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> The P3 Orion loiters on *two* engines -- they shut down both of the
> outer engines (#1 and #4).  The asymmetry of shutting down only one
> engine would require enough rudder to counteract the tendency to yaw,
> which would reduce or elimnate the reduced fuel burn (and hence loiter
> endurance) which is the point of the exercise.

I know that Dan Air reduced to idle the two outer engines on their
Comets during cruise.
The same practice applies to the Nimrods which the RAF is still using.

I think that international regulations forbid the 'Dan Air' practice for
commercial aircrafts nowadays, any comments ?

Regards
__
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
---->>>>> Check out my B767-400/A330-200 homepage <<<<<----