Re: 747

Date:         11 Jul 97 02:09:26
From:         "Brian Maddison" <BMADDISO@BCSC02.GOV.BC.CA>

Marc Schaeffer wrote:
>Certification for a four engine a/c requires a three engine takeoff,
>I don't think that two engines takeoffs are required anywhere in the
>world.

I recall an incident in the 1980s. A Continental 747 bound for Newark
took off from Gatwick in a strong crosswind (LGW has only 1 runway).
Due to fuselage blanking both downwind engines flamed out. The 747 just
made it into the air, taking part of the hedgerow with it but was unable
to climb out of ground effect. Luckily there is no high terrain around
LGW and after a terrifying long and low circuit a return landing was
made. At no time did the flight exceed 1000ft and the aircraft sustained
u/c damage during takeoff and the subsequent over-gross landing. The
two operating engines were also toast I believe as they were in max for
the entire flight.

Sorry, don't have exact dates or references.

Brian Maddison