Re: B747 technical questions

Date:         11 Jul 97 02:09:24
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

lowwol@christine.pacific.net.sg wrote:

> 1) For the 5th engine which can be installed on the pod under the wings,
> can it be used as part of the aircraft's engine thereby making the
> aircraft run on five engines?

The 5th engine position is for transport only.  The engine is not hooked
up to the fuel or control system; it is simply being carried to a spares
depot or an airport where a replacement engine is needed.

> 2) What is the best EPR number to be attained?  Is it the smaller the
> number the better or the greater the better?  Since EPR=turbine
> discharge pressure: compressor inlet pressure.  And why?

Every engine has its own best EPR.  It is not a comparison that can be
made across the entire spectrum of turbine engines.

> 3) What is in the inside of an aircraft tyre?  I mean is it
> filled/pumped up with air like that of car tyres or is it built as a
> solid whole piece??

Air.  It's construction is very similar to a car tire.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane