Re: American 737-200s

Date:         11 Jul 97 02:09:22
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.NOSPAM.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> >> American did, indeed own 737-200's and -300's for approximately 12-24
> >> months, around 1985.
>
> >You sure? I remember flying an American 737 from San Jose to Reno, and that
> >was in 1989 at the very earliest.
>
> His dates are a bit off.  American acquired the planes in the AirCal
> merger (acquisition), which was consumated July 1, 1987.  Several of
> the 737-3A4s lasted into 1992.  Unlike the -300s, which were all built
> new for AirCal, the 737-200s were a pretty random collection of second-
> hand planes.  Of the three which I looked up, all left American in
> 1989.

I stand corrected, my dates were off.  Thanks for the correction, and
for  being Mr. Moderator!

In July, 1989 (this date IS correct) I flew the reincarnated Braniff
from MCI-MKE.  It was an old AirCal 737-200.  The cabin was still in Air
Cal decor, and a lot of items such as beverage carts and coffee pots
still said "AirCal".

Ken Ishiguro