Re: Food for Thought

Date:         10 Jul 97 17:46:13
From:         "McElravy" <cpa1@jane.penn.com>

> In article <airliners.1997.1249@ohare.Chicago.COM> Gary Welch <garywelch@flex.net> writes:
> > Boeing claimed a trademark (not a patent) on the profile.
>
> No, I think they have a patent on the design. This is routine, say, in
> the car business.

In my original post (copied directly from the Boeing web site) it said
"trademark/servicemark" (whatever the difference is).

> > I don't think
> > any other planes have the distinctive hump.  I suspect the goal isn't to
> > keep competitors from using the idea but to keep movie makers from using
> > the profile in crash movies and to give Boeing approval rights for any
> > other commercial usage.
>
> I don't think the patent would cover such usage. I think it's done in
> the car industry to block clones of a popular model. There may be some
> effort to block third-party replacement body parts through design
> patents, but I don't know. I suspect Boeing is guarding against the
> possibility of cut-rate Chinese (or Indian, or Taiwanese...) 747
> knockoffs; though folks might not respect the intellectual property
> rights involved, building a long-range airliner that couldn't enter
> the U.S. wouldn't be a practical commercial proposition.

Companies often try to trademark strange things for their own "protection."
Microsoft tried to trademark windows (the lower case windows) as they
applied to computers. Needless to say they were pretty much laughed out of
court. It must be a Seattle thing.

	Evan McElravy
	cpa1@penn.com