Re: 747

Date:         10 Jul 97 17:46:13
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>
Followups:    1 2 3

V. Venkatesh wrote:

> A cousin of mine was flying Sea-Tokyo on a NW 747 on Monday when the
> captain shut down two engines near Alaska and returned to Seattle. I guess
> this isn't much of a deal since nothing appeared in the news. When a 747
> is flying along on 2 engines, what happens to speed, altitude and total
> fuel consumption? I am guessing speed, altitude decrease and also possibly
> total fuel consumption since only 2 engines are running.

On the 4 Oct 92, a B747-258F (4X-AXG) from El Al lost two engines over
Amsterdam during the initial climb phase. The plane crashed. If you
loose the two engines after the initial climb phase, you have a
reasonable chance to return to the airport. It also depends if you loose
the two engines on the same side (1 & 2 or 3 & 4) or one engine on each
side, which is *easier* to handle.

Certification for a four engine a/c requires a three engine takeoff, I
don't think that two engines takeoffs are required anywhere in the
world.

Regards
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
---->>>>> Check out my B767-400/A330-200 homepage <<<<<----