Re: "Airframe" and DFDR's

Date:         06 Jan 97 01:41:45
From:         gfmoff1@airmail.net (Gary Moffitt)

> Michael Crighton's new book "Airframe" (a fictional novel about a
> fictional airframer investigating the cause of severe porpoising in
> a fictional widebody) claims that an extremely high (~80) percentage
> of Digital Flight Data Recorders in modern aircraft are partially or
> fully non-functional.
>
> Does anyone have any information to refute/prove this?  It seems
> extremely unlikely.

> Its just what it appears, fiction.

Well stated, I know that my airline monitors dozens of various engine
parameters that are collected through the DFDAU and FDR and down loaded to
ground computers on a flight by flight basis.  If a FDR system was inop or
recieving bad info from DFDAU we'd know about it. Additionally FDR
parameters are required by FAR's and airlines do not cross the FAA.

--
Gary S. Moffitt