Re: HS Trident

Date:         29 Jun 97 16:47:05
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>

Chris Dickson wrote:

> Brian Maddison wrote:
> >
> > I don't believe there were any major operational problems with Tridents
>
> I was only a kid at the time , so details are a little hazy, but I'm
> sure there was an issue over unusually high stall speeds. There were
> several incidents involving stalls, including at least one fatal crash
> in which the flaps were retracted too early, causing the aircraft to
> drop tail first into the ground. I seem to recall that changes were made
> to the aircraft systems in response to the above, so it wasn't put down
> entirely to pilot error.

I think that you are speaking of the G-ARPI crash which occured on the
18 June 72. The Trident had two types of flaps, normal landing flaps
and, in the front part of the wing 'vaultflaps' (forgive me this
expression). The lift produced by these 'vaultflaps' was higher than the
lift produced by the landing flaps. The 'vaultflaps' could only be put
back at 417 km/h, on G-ARPI they were retracted at 300 km/h. Why this
was done will never by found out since the CVR was inactive. The Trident
stalled and crashed with a vertical speed of 23 m/s and an angle of 31
deg tail first in the ground. 118 people were killed.

Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@hotmail.com
----> Check out my B767-400/A330-200 homepage <----
WWW  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/main.htm