Re: Northwest A319 will replace what ?

Date:         29 Jun 97 16:47:04
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> I wonder which a/c NW will replace with the A319. As we know NW has
>> invested a lot of money to upgrade the flight systems and quiet the
>> engines of 173 DC-9 jets it is operating.

>They got the D9's from Republic/(Hughes Air West, North Central, Southern),
>and some of them are very very old (-20's and -15's).

No -20s, but a bunch of -15s and even more -14s.  They also got a lot
of their -31s and -32s from Republic, and most if not all of their
-51s.  Their oldest appears to be N930RC, a DC-9-14 (line number 16).
It was built as a DC-9-11 and first flew on December 1, 1965.  It was
delivered to Bonanza Airlines (one of the precursors of Hughes Air
West) on January 17, 1966.

>My guess is that only the 'younger' D9's have been upgraded.

As I recall, that's not the case.  It certainly wouldn't make sense to
replace the old ones with A319s -- the A319 is *way* too big to replace
the older DC-9s in NW's fleet, being more like the DC-9-51s in size.
Here are some seat counts, NW trim except for the A319 which is based
on UA's seating:

   DC-9-14/15	8+70
   DC-9-31/32	12+88
   DC-9-41	12+88
   DC-9-51	12+110
   DC-9-82	12+131
   A319		8+118

With a less stingy F cabin than UA, the A319 is within a couple of
seats of NW's DC-9-51s.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com