Re: Why a new super-jumbo isn't going to be built anytime soon.

Date:         18 Jun 97 02:35:32
From:         stdhuff1@cicero.spc.uchicago.edu (dg huffer)

Eric  <*Eric@Euronet.be*> wrote:
>In the long run, one recent plane
>with higher capacity is cheaper to operate than 2 recent planes with
>half the capacity.

Not necessarily for FedEx.  Out of ORD we're sending 2 A300's, a
727-100, and a 727-200 to Memphis.  We also send a 727-100 and a 727-200
to Indianapolis.  While the direct operation costs of fewer planes with
larger capacity would probably be cheaper.  Logistical factors, such as
actually loading/unloading the planes, sorting the freight, and
dependability, weigh heavily.

If you just have to sort out ULDs, I can see a super jumbo making sense
(5-10 years down the road) between hubs such as Memphis, Subic Bay,
or CDG.

--
dg huffer