Re: Boeing 777 - Totally Irresponsible?

Date:         06 Jan 97 01:41:45
From:         jfmezei <nospam.jfmezei@videotron.ca>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Peter Ashwood-Smith wrote:
>     I also find the lack of feedback in Airbus systems to be a
> poor design choice. So much useful information can be obtained
> by the feel of the controls the only reason I can think of for
> eliminating it is weight/cost savings.

LACK OF FEEDBACK ?????????

We've gone through this one before. This is utterly false.

Airbus provides DIFFERENT feedback than Boeing does. Boeing simulates
mechanical feedback on the controls while Airbus provides more
complete information on its screens as well as audible feedback.

You can gain much more USEFUL information from the displays which give
you real and accurate measures, as opposed to "what you *feel* when you
move the wheel".

The one area where there seem to be complaints is the throttle on Airbus
not matching any changes made by the computer.  Do pilots leave their
hands on the throttle throughout the flight to notice if engine throttle
is being changed by the computer ?

>From my point of view, I have no problem on MS Flight simulator looking
at the screen to see what my throttle is at and pressing certain keys to
increase/decrease it to the levels I want. This way I keep my eyes on
the main display. Perhaps this is how it is done on the Airbus with
actual and precise throttle indication displayed on the pilots main
screen with the physical actuator acting like a glorified "+" and "-"
keyboard keys to increase/decrease throttle till it gets to the desired
value as displayed on the screen.