Re: Engine start process questions

Date:         16 Jun 97 21:35:39
From:         Iain Stuart <big-iain@big-iain.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.1226@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Rich Nute
<richn@sdd.hp.com> writes
>A jet engine is started by:
>
>1.  Spin the turbine up to some rpm.
>
>    How many rpm?
On RB211's about 25% of max HP speed - About 3,000 rpm
The other shafts of a multi-shaft engine are obviously slower.

>    How is the spin air injected into the engine?

There's an external gearbox fitted with a air starter motor, and
generators and pumps. Pressurised air is fed in (from other APU, engines
or ground carts) driving the starter, driving the gearbox, a shaft into
the core of the engine, and driving the HP system. During the start, the
starter disengages once the ngine is self-sustaining.   Once running
above idle, the HP system drives the gearbox, providing electrical and
hydraulic power to the aircraft.

>2.  Inject fuel.
>    How is this done?

Thru' fuel injectors feeding fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

>3.  Ignite fuel.
>    How is this done?

Ignitor plugs ( big spark plugs ) but once started, they're not required
and the combustor is self sustaining. (You can switch on continuous
ignition if you have a nervous pilot.  ;-)  )

>In the cockpit, what are the engine start controls,
>and what are the pilots' jobs during engine start?

With modern aircraft systems, press the autostart button, and wander off
for a few mins while the electronics take care of everything.

>Doesn't one pilot keep a hand on the engine fire extinguisher?

Only if he's a nervous wuss ;-)

>Thanks,
>Richard Nute

Welcome !
Big-Iain

ps.   Rolls-Royce's UK Homepage has a "How A Jet Engine Works" section.
--
Iain Stuart

Anybody know how to stop pandas breeding ? Got a pair as a Christmas
present last year, and all they do is breed and eat. "At it" like
rabbits they are, horny little buggers. The police are getting
suspicious about my sales of stuffed pandas, and the market
for live pandas is almost saturated !