Re: Engine start process questions

Date:         16 Jun 97 21:35:39
From:         Robert Kochersberger <rckeg@unity.ncsu.edu>

Rich Nute wrote:
> A jet engine is started by:
> 	--snip--
>
>     How is this done?
>
> In the cockpit, what are the engine start controls,
> and what are the pilots' jobs during engine start?
> Doesn't one pilot keep a hand on the engine fire
> extinguisher?

	I was in the cockpit of a Crossair Jumbolino a couple of months
ago during engine start. An overhead rotary switch labeled 1-2-3-4 is
adjacent to a button marked "Engine Start." The pilot put the rotary
switch at "1" and pressed the start button. When instruments showed
proper rpm and temperature, he put the switch in "2" and repeated the
process. Very simple procedure, much moreso than on earlier generation
transports, I'm sure.