Re: HS Trident

Date:         16 Jun 97 21:35:38
From:         Iain Stuart <big-iain@big-iain.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.1244@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Dimitrios Tombros
<tombros@ifi.unizh.ch> writes
>Are there any HS Tridents still flying (airliner or military)? Why did
>this aircraft which was so similar to B727 have so little success? Was
>it some kind of construction or operational problem or just bad
>marketing?

Last I heard, there were a couple still flying in China.

Basically, the aircraft was underpowered, and that restricted routes and
payload. The Spey engines couldn't be upthrusted, and various methods
were used to squeeze extra thrust (water ingestion I think, and an
auxiliary boost engine, the RB162. The 162 was a odd engine, but that's
another story.) With this and against Boeing muscle, HS hadn't a chance
really.

Iain Stuart

Poet, Philosopher, Sportsman, Engineer, Stud,
Soul-Brother, Spy, Prime Minister, Liar and
Inventor of the Granite Sousaphone