Re: HS Trident

Date:         16 Jun 97 21:35:38
From:         Steve Lacker <CAN_SPAM@arlut.utexas.edu>

Dimitrios Tombros wrote:

> Are there any HS Tridents still flying (airliner or military)? Why did
> this aircraft which was so similar to B727 have so little success? Was
> it some kind of construction or operational problem or just bad
> marketing?

Two words: Hideously underpowered. They were so under-powered that the
final Tridents built actually had 4 engines- a small "booster" engine
was added in a pod at the base of the tail. Normal takeoff/climb
performance was not great, and I'm sure that hot/high performance was
nonexistant. The 727, in contrast, was considered a real hot-rod for its
day, not only because it had plenty of power but because of its flap
system. By modern standards, the 727 is no longer a hot-rod (the 757 set
a new standard in that area...) but its not a slouch either. Just look
at the other thread on cruise speeds, for example.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029