Re: Trouble with RR Trent 700 on A330-300s

Date:         10 Jun 97 00:35:01
From:         jsw@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright)

On 04 Jun 97 01:45:40 , in <airliners.1997.1181@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Marc
Schaeffer wrote:
>According to RR information the problem with the RR Trent 700 engines is due to
>insufficient oil lubricating of the gearbox and the bearing becomes
> hot. The Garuda planes were not grounded since it's a problem that seems to
>deteriorate with age.

The Trent 700 and 800 both use the same gearbox. The 800 had the oil
feed to a bevel drive associated with the gearbox in a slightly
different place to the 700. Thus the bearings on the 800s run with oil,
the 700's without. I am told by someone who *should* know that the
affected gearbox bearings only fail after *several thousand* hours of
dry running. (Don't try this with your car gearbox at home)

--
John Wright