Re: Perhaps a silly question (DC-9 barrel roll)

Date:         04 Jun 97 13:04:00
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>

hasmith@acsu.buffalo.edu asks on Sun May 18 00:56:17 1997:-
> 	I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here.  On a
> recent flight a friend and I were musing on whether a commercial jet (In
> this case it was a DC9) could handle a barrel roll. Now I know there are
> all sorts of factors to consider like at what speed, and perhaps how fast
> the roll itself was executed, but I would appreciate any input anyone
> might have.

Apologies to anyone who has read this before, since I have posted
at least two previous messages about it, but in the book "Bravo Two
Zero", the author, Andy MacNab (pseudonym) describes how, while he
was being flown back from imprisonment in Iraq at the end of the
Gulf War, in a 727 escorted by RAF fighters who were doing various
celebratory aerobatics, the captain executed a barrel roll to show
the RAF smart-asses that he could do one as well!

How dependable this information is, I'm not sure.

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk