Re: 757 Engine noise over LA

Date:         04 Jun 97 13:03:57
From:         rstevens@worldsite.net (Ryan Michael Stevens)

   kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:

>LAX normally runs departures to the west, as with your flight, so it
>*doesn't* have to worry about noise on departures.  There's about a
>mile from the western end of the airport property to the coast, and
>if you look, you'll see all the roads and perhaps a few foundations
>for a housing development that was started but never completed.  I've
>always assumed the property was purchased by the airport (or some
>agency on behalf of the airport) to avert noise complaints.

Prior to the early 1960's, the hill between LAX and the ocean was covered by a
number of expensive ocean-view homes.  What you see from above are the
remaining foundations and roads from this neighborhood.  The number of noise
complaints (due to early turbojet 707s and DC-8s) from the residents forced
the city to buy the property and destroy the homes.  There are reports of
people having to be forcibly removed from their homes, luxury homes that
had been in the family for decades.  The same thing happened on the approach
end to runways 24L and 24R as well, but these areas have been covered with
parks and long-term airport parking and are not as noticeable as the area by
the ocean.
  There is still one street that crosses the hill that is open to traffic
(Sandpiper Street), and is a great observation point when the pattern is
reversed.

Ryan Stevens
1/2 mile from LAX 24R