Re: 757 Engine noise over LA

Date:         04 Jun 97 13:03:57
From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.1155@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

>>... as we crossed the coast line (taking off towards
>>the west) both engines went suddenly very quiet.

>I can't recall ever experiencing anything like that on a flight out of
>LAX, and it does sound rather odd.  Perhaps you were momentarily being
>held at a given altitude to provide clearance from other traffic.  You
>were on a 757, which has almost fighter-like climb performance -- maybe
>the controller didn't expect so quick a climb.

But Karl, your last flight out of LAX was on a dinky 737. We both know a
757 can eat one for lunch and still out climb it. :-)

More to the point, there's a VFR corridor along the coast down to 2,500
(although for VFR traffic, a clearance from ATC is required). So when it's
in use, a departure out of LAX is going to get a 2,000' initial altitude
assignment. Once clear, you get cleared higher.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/