Re: Baggage security

Date:         04 Jun 97 13:03:55
From:         nak@lucent.com (Neil Kirby)

Pete Mellor  <pm@csr.city.ac.uk> wrote:
>On two recent trips I was carrying suspect items.

[deleted]

>Any comments?

I have also wondered about such items.  I have often travelled on
international flights with home made wine.  I bottle in half bottles (375
ml).  The bottles are then wrapped in newspaper and placed in individual
steel pasta cans.  My now armoured wine is placed in checked luggage.

Never has it raised any eyebrows.  As far as I know, it's never been
tampered with - I seal the cans with tape.  The steel, I'd think, is opaque
to x-ray.

As far as knives go, a friend of mine was required to surrender his Swiss
army knife at Osaka airport.  It rode in a cute little box in the cargo
hold.
---
Neil Kirby	DoD #0783	nak@lucent.com
Lucent Technologies - Home of Bell Labs Innovations
Bell Labs  Columbus OH     USA +1 (614) 860-5304