Re: Convair 990's

Date:         04 Jun 97 01:45:43
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Does anyone know if there are any Convair 990's or 880's that are still
>intacted and not made into Coke cans

I just saw the hulk of one at Denver Stapleton (yes, Stapleton) last
Sunday.  I believe it was a Ports-of-Call 990 though I only caught a
glimpse of it from Interstate 70.

NASA's 990 (N810NA, which entered service as American's N5617) made
its last flight on October 28 last year, a short flight from NASA
Dryden Flight Research Facility to Mojave Airport, where it is now
on display.

Swissair donated one 990 to the Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne,
where it presumably is still intact.

Those are the only ones that come to mind, but I'm sure there are
others.  There's a book by Jon Proctor, entitled Convair 880 & 990,
which probably can provide a more complete list.  I've not seen the
book myself but it's gotten good reviews.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com