Re: Food for Thought

Date:         04 Jun 97 01:45:42
From:         don@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Don Stokes)
Followups:    1 2 3

>>It is mind boggling that the 747 has achieved the level of fame that would
>>allow its silhouette to be trademarked/servicemarked. Anyone know any more
>>about this?
>
>It may also be an attempt by Boeing to, in effect, extend their patent
>on the design, which would have expired long ago.  The patentable idea
>was, I assume, moving the cockpit up above the main cabin deck to
>allow unobstructed cargo access all the way to the nose (and through
>the nose in the freighter versions).

The wording of the patent was:

	"We claim:
	 The ornamental design for an airplane, as shown and described."

The patent has drawings of the now-familiar shape, although with a much
smaller and hump with an obvious crease between the cockpit and the rest
of the fuselage, looking more of an afterthought than on the real thing.

The date was 29 Oct 1968, valid for 14 years.

On the subject of patents, does anyone know why Boeing did not patent the
use of engine nacelles on pylons to get the engine airflow away from the
airflow over the wing?

--
Don Stokes    Operations Manager    NetLink     Wellington   New Zealand
don@netlink.co.nz (work)  don@zl2tnm.gen.nz (home)  Phone +64 4 495-5052