Re: A330-300HGW

Date:         04 Jun 97 01:45:41
From:         Alan Wong <Alan.Wong@anu.edu.au>

Pete Mellor wrote:
> faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) wrote on Sun May 18 00:02:24 1997:-
> > If the A330 wants to compete with the 777 it's going to need a new wing.
>
> On my last flight on an A330, I sat in the jump seat for
> a while. The captain said that in his opinion the A330 wing
> was brilliant, and the most advanced thing since sliced bread.

The A330 is primarily designed as a short-medium haul aircraft and the wing
optimised for this purpose. Although I am no expert in this regard, I am led
to believe that wings good for low speed handling are not so good for high
speed cruising and vice versa. This is probably why the A330 (and the A340
which has essentially the same wing) has a lower cruising speed than the 777,
which has been designed from the start with long haul operations in mind (eg
777-200IGW and 777-200X). The lower cruising speed over long flights, can mean
extra sector time of an hour or so, putting the A330 with its current wing at
a disadvantage compared to 777.