Re: 757 Engine noise over LA

Date:         23 May 97 09:03:29
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>... as we crossed the coast line (taking off towards
>the west) both engines went suddenly very quiet.
>I though this cut off might be something to do with any noise abatement
>rules over the LA area

LAX normally runs departures to the west, as with your flight, so it
*doesn't* have to worry about noise on departures.  There's about a
mile from the western end of the airport property to the coast, and
if you look, you'll see all the roads and perhaps a few foundations
for a housing development that was started but never completed.  I've
always assumed the property was purchased by the airport (or some
agency on behalf of the airport) to avert noise complaints.

Obviously once you're out over the water you don't have to worry much
about noise.

I can't recall ever experiencing anything like that on a flight out of
LAX, and it does sound rather odd.  Perhaps you were momentarily being
held at a given altitude to provide clearance from other traffic.  You
were on a 757, which has almost fighter-like climb performance -- maybe
the controller didn't expect so quick a climb.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com