Re: Replacement for Halon fire extinguishant

Date:         23 May 97 09:03:29
From:         "S. Buining" <S.Buining@bk.tudelft.nl>

David Lesher wrote:

> GWilson404@aol.com writes:
>
> >Can anyone update me with the latest status of an approved alternative to
> >Halon for engine fire extinguishers? e.g. is there a planned date for an
> >FAA approval?
>
> Every proposal I have seen involved buying up existing supplies and
> stockpiling same.

There have been several options. At this moment the Halon replacement
task force (existing of Airlines, authorities and 'Halon-experts') have
not decided on a replacement (as far as I know). Still you have to
question what the hurry is for the European and US markets as long as
there is major production of Halon in Azia (for example India still
produces Halon on a large scale) and authorities over there are not
(yet) cooperating with Europe and US.

Michiel van der Eijk