Re: Starting large piston engines

Date:         17 May 97 15:15:50
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.1109@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Carl Peters, M.D."
<cpeters@i1.net> wrote:

> How were large radial pistons (eg. on a Connie, DC-4,6) started? The
> starter would be electrical, but what was the source - the onboard
> batteries vs. an external generator cart?

Some planes like the B-29 had an APU, a small gasoline generator that was
started to provide the power to start the first engine (it was called a
"putt-putt," however, not an APU). A few years ago I filmed on a DC-7 fire
bomber, and teh pilots used its on-board batteries to start the engines.
An external power cart also can be used.  The B-17 I few on (Sentimental
Journey) also used on-board batteries.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane