Re: Why "IGW" instead of "ER", and other question about 777's...

Date:         17 May 97 15:15:45
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell) wrote:

> I am sure that Boeing is thinking about this since their customers are
> talking publicly about this problem.  I was wondering if they could
> assemble 777's in the MD-11 facility (now that they own it)?  It might be
> profitable to kill MD-11 production even if they have some unfilled
> orders so that they can produce enough 777 to keep their customers
> from shopping at Airbus.
>
> Does anyone have any info on (a) the technical feasiblity of this
> geographic split in production, (b) Boeing's promises about production
> of MD aircraft or (c) the relative profit margins on 777's and
> MD-11's?

(a) I can't speak officially for the company, of course, but everyone from
our chairman on down knows that final assembly is the easiest and cheapest
part of aircraft manufacturing.  They can be put together anywhere there's
floor space and the people to do it.  Don't forget the 737 fuselage is
built in Wichita and rail shipped to Renton for final assembly.  We've
been doing it for years and it works beautifully.  And most of the 767
fuselage panels are built in Japan and shipped to Everett.  Geography is
rapidly becoming irrelevant in airplane assembly.  Airbus is as good a
lesson in that as we are.

(b) You'll have to wait and see.

(c) They'll never say.

C. Marin Faure