Re: Delta Air Lines fleet renewal

Date:         09 May 97 03:29:01
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 30 Apr 97 03:19:11 , Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

>I found his comment interesting and unusual- the history of most other
>airliners is that when they reach the age of the 727, you find MORE of
>them in passenger service OUTSIDE the US than inside (take the 707 for
>example). With the 727 however, several American carriers are
>tenaciously hanging on to them (Delta, UA, TWA, and to a much lesser
>degree AA). Presumably, they plan to get every ounce of life out of them
>that they can. Is that simply a matter of timing? Have the impending
>Stage III restrictions so drastically lowered the resale value of 727's
>that it is more economical to fly them to the end of life rather than
>sell them off with fewer hours/cycles on the airframes? Or is it that
>the fact that the 727 (especially the -200 Advanced models which are the
>ones still in service) is still economically competitive with newer
>airliners? I know that most pilots I've talked to really like the 727,
>but I doubt that pilot preference figures heavily into an airline's
>economic decisions :-)

First, I suspect you can remove the "to a much lesser degree" modifier
in your list.  AA, to its chagrin, will apparently have to hang on to
its 727s for rather longer than it wanted to.

(Due to the lack of a suitable resolution of the pilot issue.
According to Flight International, AA's delivery positions for 1998
are basically gone, and the 1999 ones are vulnerable.  This involves
next generation 737s, 757s, 767s, and 777s).

One of the issues affecting the 727 is that there was no natural
successor to the aircraft until the 737-800 came along, at least from
a US manufacturer.

>Stephen Lacker

Malc.