Re: Braking

Date:         09 May 97 03:29:00
From:         ctillier@leland.Stanford.EDU (Clemens Emanuel Tillier)

Thomas.Enblom <thomas.enblom@era.ericsson.se> wrote:

>When continuing with CX to Frankfurt the same aircraft this time only
>used air brakes (and probably wheel brakes) in order to slow down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of spoilers ("air
brakes") to dump the lift and get the weight on the wheels as quickly as
possible, such that the wheels can brake effectively?  As I understand it
the extra drag from spoilers wouldn't slow the aircraft much, compared to
wheel brakes.  Could someone confirm/deny?

(And while we're at it, what fraction of the braking (energy-wise) can be
done by thrust reversers?)

Clem

__ Clemens E. Tillier _________________________ Stanford, Califonia, USA __
__ .........leland.stanford.edu ____________________Work: (415) 723-6021 __