Re: Why "IGW" instead of "ER", and other question about 777's...

Date:         09 May 97 03:28:59
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

>> 3) A 777-400X could not be assembled in the factory in which Boeing
>> currently assembles 777s. This factory has a capacity of seven per
>> month. At present, the factory is booked to capacity for the next 18
>> months or so ...
>
>The report I saw said all delivery positions were commited thru the
>turn of the century -- over 32 months at this point.

With about 250 B777s still on backlog, that means almost all the
B777s on order will be delivered by the year 2000 (32 x 7 = 224).
I doubt that is the case.  However, I believe there are some committed
slots of which the contracts have not been signed officially.

According to a Singaporean report that I found on the Web, Boeing
officials indicated that orders for the B777-200X and -300X will
be announced at the Paris Air Show.  They would not give any more
details but "guaranteed" that it would not be another Farnborough
(at where Boeing failed to launch the B747X last year).  It's
understood that Boeing has been discussing with Emirates, All Nippon,
Japan Airlines, Singapore, Cathay Pacific, China Southern.  Malaysia
Airlines has earlier signed a MoU for up to 15 B777-200X.

Singapore Airlines seems to be not very pleased with Boeing's decision
of not offering the B777-100X.  Singapore thinks the -200X may be too
large for some of the markets.  If that's true, I wonder why Airbus
is not pushing the A340-8000 since SIA already has a large fleet of
A340s.

Also, I can see Cathay order the B777-300X, but not the -200X.  If
Cathay does order the -200X instead of the A340-500X, then Boeing's
sales team must have done a great job.

I'm also surprised that Virgin is not on the list.  I always have the
impression that Virgin is interested in the B777-300X to replace its
fleet of B747 classic.

P.S. Just a prediction: I think by the end of this year, or perhaps
     at the Paris Air Show, the B777 orders will pull ahead of the
     A330/340.  Currently, it's at 323 vs 354.  However, I believe
     Boeing's number include Asiana's order of 15 B777s while
     Airbus's does not include Asiana's order of 18 A330s.