Re: Why "IGW" instead of "ER", and other question about 777's...

Date:         09 May 97 03:28:59
From:         tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell)

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
<snip>
>Now the tables are turned.  Prior to their signing their exclusive
>deal with Boeing, Delta had expressed some interest in the A330/A340
>over the 777 simply because they couldn't get decent 777 delivery
>positions.  Presumably one of the escape clauses in the "exclusive"
>deal is that if Boeing can't deliver, Delta can still shop elsewhere,
>and the lack of 777 positions could still do just this.

I am sure that Boeing is thinking about this since their customers are
talking publicly about this problem.  I was wondering if they could
assemble 777's in the MD-11 facility (now that they own it)?  It might be
profitable to kill MD-11 production even if they have some unfilled
orders so that they can produce enough 777 to keep their customers
from shopping at Airbus.

Does anyone have any info on (a) the technical feasiblity of this
geographic split in production, (b) Boeing's promises about production
of MD aircraft or (c) the relative profit margins on 777's and
MD-11's?

Sincerely
Terry