Re: A340-500X/600X and B777-200X/300X [long]

Date:         09 May 97 03:28:58
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

In article <airliners.1997.1046@ohare.Chicago.COM>,  <graemec@ibm.net> wrote:
>Ikls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>
>>Replacing 767-300(ER)s, not 747s, though if you dig back it used to be
>>one 747-238B, compared to *two* 777-200IGWs starting tomorrow.
>
>There's a surprise. Why/how/when did United get hold of
>an ex-Qantas 747?  Via People's Express?  Virgin?  How many?

	Qantas have been retiring their 747-200s in favour of
747-400s for about a decade now. (Qantas needs to extra range
more than most airlines do, so difference in value to them of
a -400 and a -200 is much greater than for most airlines).
Qantas has a reputation for looking after its aircraft, so airlines
like United are generally quite happy to buy them. As I understand
it, United bought them directly from Qantas, and bought a number
of them (half a dozen? Karl undoubtedly knows the answer).

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

	"`I need every aluminum can you can find! And duct tape!"