Re: Question: Fuel Dumping

Date:         05 Jan 97 03:22:34
From:         Larry Ludwick <lludwick@gte.net>

Gary Moffitt wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.2982@ohare.Chicago.COM>, davidl@wr.com.au wrote:
> > I had a number of questions concerning fuel dumping:

[SNIP]

> > 2. Does the fuel vaporise before reaching the ground ?
>
> In those cases where an aircraft didn't make it to Lake Michigan we never
> recieved a report of fuel hitting the ground.

I used to collect rain water for my aquariums by setting a container on
the ground in my back yard.  I had to stop because my fish started to
die.

I live in the flight path for Tampa International, so I started looking
and, sure enough, found a film of what looked like kerosene on top of
the water.  I suspect it came from either unburned fuel in the exhaust
from full throttle take-offs, or from dumping on final.

What would you suspect?  I live about four miles from the end of the
runway, on a direct line for runway 18R.

Larry