Re: 747-400 Displays

Date:         30 Apr 97 03:19:11
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.1035@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "john r."
<john@guava.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <airliners.1997.984@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "C. Marin Faure"
> >The 747 has had a straight staircase for many years now, well before the
> >advent of the -400.  The -400 features a 2-man cockpit, and utilizes LCD
> >flat-panel displays.
>
> The 747-400 has CRT displays.

You're right.  I was corrected by a couple of my co-workers at Boeing on
this one.  I had assumed incorrectly that we were now putting the same LCD
displays in the 747-400 as are being used in the 777 and New Generation
737.  We're not, although the format of the displays in all three airplane
models are almost identical (the displays in the 737, however, can be
changed to replicate the "round instrument" displays in earlier 737s with
a 20-minute software change via floppy disk.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane