Re: Why a new super-jumbo isn't going to be built anytime soon.

Date:         30 Apr 97 03:19:11
From:         stdhuff1@cicero.spc.uchicago.edu (dg huffer)

In article <5j8d0h$lsc@kragar.kei.com>,
Eric Peeters  <eric@infoboard.be> wrote:
[clip]

>Airlines such as the one I work for (Lufthansa), BA and FedEx have made it
>clear they'll need some very large aircraft. I think at least 20 aircraft
>could be sold between the three airlines and selling the 20 others
>shouldn't be a problem.

I'd seriously doubt that FedEx would ever go for a "super-jumbo".  They'd
much rather run two large planes then a single jumbo.  They're no longer
using they're 747, and will primarily be buying DC-10s and Airbuses over
the next several years.  Major factors in this include:

(1) airport traffic usually isn't as congested when they fly, so
takeoff/landing procedures aren't as time consuming
(2) smaller planes reduce large surges of volume into/out of the sort,
(3) allows for a  more gradual change of volume flying between locations
(4) lessens the dependence on a single aircraft to perform properly.

--
dg huffer