Re: L1011 vs. DC-10

Date:         05 Jan 97 03:22:34
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>      I think the DC-10s still in service are more recent manufacture
>than the original DC-10-10s from the early 70s.  A few 1011s were built
>as late as 1980 or so but none since then; DC-10s were built much later.

Perhaps some, but certainly not all.  American recently sold 14
DC-10-10s to FedEx, with delivery at a rate of one per month.  The
first delivery, in October, was N102AA, the third DC-10 off the
production line.  November's delivery was N103AA (LN 5, the plane
involved in the 1972 cargo door incident over Windsor, Ontario).
Both of these planes had been taken out of service and stored at
Ft. Worth's Alliance Airport since 1993, but it looks like they'll
be flying for a number of years to come.  (Except for the last of
the 14 planes AA will deliver to FedEx, all had been taken out of
service and stored.)

FedEx is also getting all 36 of United's remaining DC-10-10s over
the next few years, including some very early ones.  Here's what
the status is of the first ten DC-10s:

  1  N101AA  AA, stored MZJ (Marana, AZ) - broken up?
  2  N220AU  Project Orbis (flying eye hospital)
  3  N102AA  AA => FedEx 10/96
  4  N1801U  UA => FedEx, stored LAS (Las Vegas, NV)
  5  N103AA  AA => FedEx 11/96
  6  N1802U  UA => FedEx, stored LAS
  7  N104AA  broken up 9/95 (retired by AA)
  8  N1803U  UA => FedEx, stored LAS
  9  N105AA  AA => FedEx 10/97, stored AMA (Alliance, Ft. Worth, TX)
 10  N1804U  broken up 10/93 (retired by UA)

If you think about FedEx's operation, geriatric planes like this
aren't a big problem -- most of them just fly a single round-trip
from Memphis each day, and only five days per week, so they still
have plenty of life left in them.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com