Re: Super 80 question

Date:         30 Apr 97 03:19:09
From:         "J. Heilig" <jheilig@gate.net>

BAEJS3201 wrote:

> Yesterday I was flying home from DFW on American Airlines. I was seat at
> the wings leading edge of a MD83. I was looking out the window and noticed
> a placard that was about 1 foot any from the owerwing exit non-skid. It
> looked like a Delta wing shape and was striped. Does anyone know what is
> placard is for.

	It's a means of visually detecting any accumulation of ice in that
area.  The MD-80 family had a problem in that the wet wing in that area
was prone to icing.  The fuel would be cold soaked from cruise flight,
and then when the airplane landed at someplace warm and humid (like
Miami in July), they tended to develop ice on top of the wing fuel
tanks.  Delta's airplanes (and others) have three little yellow
triangles with black outlines (and a piece of string in the middle) for
the same purpose.

Jennings Heilig