Re: B-777 Double Decker???

Date:         30 Apr 97 03:19:09
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.984@ohare.Chicago.COM>, faurecm@halcyon.com (C.
Marin Faure) wrote:

> In article <airliners.1997.935@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dcoon@ksu.edu (David
> Alan Coon) wrote:
>
> >  Am I correct in my thinking that a B-747-400series has
> > replaced the traditional spiral staircase with a straight one and the
> > cockpit is mostly digital?
>
> The 747 has had a straight staircase for many years now, well before the
> advent of the -400.  The -400 features a 2-man cockpit, and utilizes LCD
> flat-panel displays.  The 747-400 and 777 flight decks are quite similar;
> however, the 777 has a more advanced fault-reporting and
> built-in-test-equipment (BITE) system.

I received a subsequent e-mail correction to this post that states that
the 747-400 does not use the same LCD displays as the 777, but instead
uses CRT flat-panel displays.  I stand corrected: I thought we were
putting the same LCD panels in our newest 747-400s, but apparently we're
not.  The display formats themselves, however, are almost identical on
both airplanes to enhance fleet comonality.  In fact, the new-generation
737s can have their LCD displays switched from analog-appearing
instruments like the older 737s to displays identical to the 777.  The
switch is made by loading display data into the computers from a set of
floppy disks and it takes only 20 minutes.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane