Re: A340-500X/600X and B777-200X/300X [long]

Date:         30 Apr 97 03:19:08
From:         M Carling <m@ml.com>

Roger Chung-Wee wrote:

> On 18 Apr 1997 14:04:05 -0400, eric@infoboard.be (Eric) wrote:
>
> >This begs to ask, however, what will happen to SIA's current flights to
> >JFK via Amsterdam and Frankfurt which are, I'm told, quite
> >profitable. Moreover, a recent in-house study said most passengers would
> >rather take a one-stop flight than a non-stop one if the non-stop flight
> >would be over 15 hours. Could we therefore see non-stop flights on some
> >days and one-stop flights on others, via Europe, or a longer term solution
> >which would offer two flights a day (not necessarily every day), both
> >operated with a B777 or A340 instead of the current B747-400 to New York ?
>
> When you say non-stop, I presume you mean trans-Pacific flights from,
> say, the west coast of America to Singapore as I'm sure that the
> 777-200X will not be able to fly non-stop from the east coast unless,
> perhaps, SIA can get a direct, polar route and GPS navigation.  And
> won't flying westwards to America still require a stop en-route?

I expect the 777-200X to operate JFK-SIN, even though it will not be
able to fly the great circle route because there probably aren't
airports (at least in winter) in northern Siberia to which they could
divert. Roger Chung-Wee appears to think that the great circle route
from JFK to SIN is westward, but in fact it is eastward (nearly polar).
Given prevailing winds, JFK-SIN service would fly eastbound in BOTH
directions, though over-flight rights might be a problem with Mongolia.

M Carling