Re: 777 short take-off?

Date:         23 Apr 97 02:58:15
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>   I recently took a UA 777-200 IGW flight from SFO to LHR.  Unlike
>other overseas flights on variety of a/c from SFO, we used a shorter
>runway (one pointing towards Oakland).  Does the 777 have a short
>take-off capablity compared to other long range a/c?

Even close to max weight, the 777-200IGW gets off the ground with
remarkable alacrity -- at least with both engines producing thrust.
With the loss of an engine at V1, I suspect performance might be a
lot closer to a 747 in similar circumstances.

A more likely explanation for departing on runway 1R would be winds
from the north.  (1L is barely adequate for transcon flights even with
good headwinds and a light load; I'd be *very* surprised to see any
overseas flight use 1L.)  With the right winds, even trans-Pacific 747
flights can depart on 1R.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com