Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         04 Jan 97 04:01:35
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

> >Upsizing the 62K engine's fan just a little -- enough to get a bit
> >more thrust without resorting to the potentially substantial air-
> >frame mods needed to accomodate A330-class engines -- probably is
> >not an economically viable option for the engine manufacturers.

> I don't pushing the engine performance of the existing GE engines is in the
> cards. the 62k rating was at the top  of the CF-60C2 to begin with.
> The fact that they couldn't get more out of the design drove the
> GE90 program.

Not true.  The CF6-80E1, for the A330, goes up to the 70K.  It has a
larger fan, 62K may be the limit for the CF6-80C2 version, but the
next step doesn't require a GE90.

> Certainly the JT9D-7Q's used on some 767's aren't going to grow
> either, they were also the last of the breed.

They're irrelevant -- it's out of production, and the 767-300(ER),
which accounts for nearly half the 767 production, was never built
with the JT9D.  (The first few 767-300s built, non-ERs, have JT9Ds.
JAL has them and according to Boeing, they're the only -300s with
JT9Ds.  The rest have the PW4000, CF6-80, or in a couple of cases,
the RB.211.)

> The RR G and H engines available are now the same as used on the
> 747-400, and they are biggest and the last of the RB211 family as
> well.

The Trent, used on the A330 and 777, is still an RB.211 at heart.
They just changed the name when they went to the bigger fan.

> Some late 767's have PW4000's ...

First flight was in 1987.  According to Boeing figures for 767
deliveries as of 6/30/96, 118 had the PW4000 (with 24 more on order)
and 100 had the JT9D.  (With 615 deliveries at that point and the only
RB.211 examples being 24 for British Airways, with 1 more on order and
3 on order for China Yunnan, the CF6-80 has obviously garnered the
lion's share of the 767 market.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com