Re: delta LA-Hong Kong flight

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         22 Jun 96 18:30:38

On 10 Jun 1996, Bong wrote:

> What happend to delta's la-hong kong flight? Did dl abandoned it because
> of the range problem with their md-11's? Also, I once read an article in
> AW&T that Dl will make a stop in taiwan for refuel. Is is the distance of
> la-taiwan and la-hong kong simmilar?

	I was told point blank by a Delta MD-11 captain that the MD-11
	is the sole reason DL stopped flying to HKG.  The airplane was
	simply making too many unscheduled stops in Tokyo for fuel, and
	DL had to stop the bleeding.

	The same captain told me that as soon as the front office at
	DL gets off the mark and orders 777s, the MD-11s will probably
	soon be history, or at least relegated to trans-Atlantic routes.

	JRH