Re: SIA A340s

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         22 Jun 96 18:30:37

Bong  <sabejo@pom.devry.edu> wrote:
>I just finnished reading airbus' press release. In one of their article,
>AI wrote that SIA(singapore airlines) will use its A340's in SIA's
>singapore-paris route. i remember that SIA cancelled its MD-11 orders
>becuase SIA wanted an aircarft to carry a 60000 lbs. in this route, but
>during actual test flight showed that a MD-11 can only carry 40000 lbs.

SIA did not "order" the MD-11; SIA signed an Memorandum of Understanding
(MoU) to buy up to 20 MD-11s in 1990, I think.  When McD and P&W could not
guarantee year-round, non-stop operation between S'pore and Paris without
payload penalty by assuming 5% (?) engine degradation, SIA chose the high
gross weight A340-300X (now designated as the A340-300E) in 1991.

>Now, A340-300 has a range of 7300 nm, and paris-sing. is roughly 6600 nm.
>I think It would not be possible for the A340 to fly non-stop because of
>the strong headwinds. Can someone tell me if I am wrong?

The A340-300E is originally certified at 271 tons of gross weight.
According to an earlier report in AvLeak, SIA claimed the aircraft only
had a range of around 6600 nm in SIA's configuration.  Airbus was
supposed to have the aircraft recertified at 275 tons either last
month or this month (by adding a tank?).  I believe SIA will start flying
the A340 on the S'pore-Paris run in October.  Let's see how it will
perform.