Re: UAL 747?

From:         dangrad@ix.netcom.com (Daniel J. Gradwohl)
Date:         15 Jun 96 18:26:10

C. Marin Faure writes:

>Our (Boeing) AOG teams have made remarkable repairs to airplanes in
>the field.  Some of these projects, like the Air France 747 that slid
>off a runway in India

    Actually, the Air France 747 you speak of (a -400, F-GITA) ran off
the end of the runway at PPT (Tahiti) on 9-12-93.  It was brought out
of the water (in an overrun beyond the runway) with the help of a
Boeing team, using inflatable tubes which lifted the aircraft off the
ground, and then cranes were used to haul it back onto the runway.  The
waterline was all the way up to the floor of the upper deck!

Dan Gradwohl
Ryan International Airlines
B727 F/E  IND