777 Flight Deck

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         15 Jun 96 18:26:09

In a reply to an earlier posting by someone describing his experience as a
visitor to a 777 cockpit, I made a couple of mistakes I'd like to
rectify.  The poster mentioned a trackball that was used as a cursor
controller at the maintenance panel behind the first officer's seat.  I
replied that touchpads were used on the 777, not trackballs.  I was
wrong.  Touchpads WERE installed for the MAT displays in the first flight
test 777s.  However, it apparently was decided that a trackball would be
easier for a mechanic to manipulate, so the MAT touchpad was replaced by a
trackball.  The pilots cursor controllers are touchpads, however.

I also stated that there was an additional MAT station in the E-bay under
the forward cabin, plus five plug-in stations around the plane where
portable maintenance access terminals could be plugged in.  Actually, the
MAT station in the E-bay is one of the five plug-in stations- we simply
deliver a PMAT installed in this location with the airplane.

My thanks to a fellow Boeing employee who pointed out my errors.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane