Re: 767 Landing gear

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         15 Jun 96 13:43:28

In article <airliners.1996.909@ohare.Chicago.COM>, David Summergreene
<dsummerg@hutch.com.au> wrote:

> Does anybody know why the B767 has the only foward slung main gear in
> the boeing fleet, I was inetrested to see that the B777 did not follow
> this trend. Anyone know why

I'm not an engineer.  However, from a class on airplane design I took here
at Boeing a number of years ago I learned that the landing gear is one of
the main criteria that "sets" an overall airplane design.  In other words,
they don't design the plane and then figure out how to put wheels on it,
but instead start considering the gear right from the beginning.  Because
the gear attaches to the main wing spar, it has to be one of the first
design components to be considered.

While I do not know this for a fact, I suspect the angle of the 767's main
gear struts was determined by the gear's retraction requirements which in
turn were determined by the surrounding structure which in turn was
determined by the wing to body postion which in turn was determined by....
you get the idea.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane