Re: 24 hours in Seattle, Part I

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         22 Jan 96 04:40:42

rna@gsb-pound.stanford.edu wrote:

> Boeing doesn't actually make commercial
> aircraft at Boeing Field, but it is their delivery center, so you
> will often see a flight line of the latest aircraft just prior to
> delivery.  Unfortunately, the recent Boeing strike meant that there
> weren't any aircraft there that I noticed.
>
> However, the #1 747, #1 757 and the #1 767 were parked at the south end
> of the airfield near to the Museum of Flight site.  #1 767, of course,
> still has the massive infrared detector mounted on top (for a military
> project)

Just for your added information, the only commercial planes that are
delivered from Boeing Field are 757s and 737s. However, because our Flight
Test department is located there, you will often see the odd 747, 767, or
777 there for Flight Test purposes.  747s, 767s, and 777s all are
delivered to their customers at Paine Field near Everett.

The Number 1 767 no longer belongs to Boeing.  We sold it to the Army for
the infrared project.  It's recently been repainted in a standard white
and gray military paint scheme.  The Number 1 (RA-001) 747 actually
belongs to the Museum of Flight, although we leased it back last year to
flight test the 777 engines.

C. Marin Faure
Video Services, The Boeing Company (opinions/satements are my own)
author, Flying A Floatplane